Thursday 23 April 2015

Sewing - director's chair covers and my fabric stash (which you should see dwindling soon!)


We bought two directors chairs from Habitat yonks ago. So long that they don't even make this style any more. The oak frames are still going strong but the natural canvas covers were stained and holey. You can buy new covers from about a tenner, but where's the fun in that? So I ordered some canvas from Deckchair Stripes (now called The Stripes Company) and got sewing. Not only do I love the cobalt blue, but I think they look really professional (sorry, I don't know how to say that without sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet!). And, best of all, we've all sat in them and nothing broke! Triple win.
I've been thinking a lot about my sewing recently. I've had a big sort-out of my fabric stash (see new neat-ish folded piles in the cupboard above). I've had a general tidy up. I've been thinking about the importance, in the early days of starting a new business, of focusing on your core business versus diversifying to a 'portfolio' approach. I think I'm the sort of person who responds best to diversity, and so I've been sewing up a number of different products to get some customer research on, cost up and time out, and to develop a sense of my style and interests. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming to visit. Oh you have something to say? Go on then...